New Morning Routine – Day 1

Hey guys, today I began my new morning routine!

I’ll be doing this for the next 30 days (or at least attempting to do it). Getting up like three hours earlier than usual is pretty ambitious for me, so I don’t know if I can lock in the entire routine in 30 days. But we’ll see.

Also, it’s possible that I will want to make changes, take a short break or even ditch the whole idea completely after this month is over. I don’t know. We’ll see.

But for now, all I’m committing to is this 30-day challenge.

Here is my new morning routine…

4:00 AM

  • Go Bathroom
  • Take cold shower
  • Weigh in
  • Brush teeth
  • Drink water
  • Workout
  • Walk 5,000 steps
  • *Share photo*
  • *Share mini vlog*

5:00 AM

  • Stretch
  • Eat breakfast
  • Wash dishes
  • Clean litterbox
  • Take out trash
  • Make bed
  • Read book

6:00 AM

  • Write blog post

7:00 AM

  • Read + comment: blogs
  • Read + comment: social media

8:00 AM

  • End AM routine

*do anytime during AM routine

So right now it’s actually 10:18 AM, as I’m writing this. Let’s see how I did on my first day!

4:00 AM

Okay, so everything starts out great. In fact, I actually wake up at 3:53 AM – several minutes before my alarm even goes off! I think that’s a pretty interesting way to begin. I’m dead tired, but I’m awake. I lay in bed for a few minutes, trying to get my head clear.

At 4:00 sharp, I hear my son get up and start getting ready for work.


Anyway, I head to the bathroom.

So far so good.

4:01 AM

Okay, not so good.

My son goes into the bathroom just ahead of me.

We only have the one bathroom, so I start pacing back and forth in the dark, in the kitchen, doing the pee pee dance.

I really want to be productive right now, but I don’t know what I can do without waking up my wife (see previous post for reason why).

I know I should just head to our little gym/workout room here in our apartment complex. But it’s waaaaaayyy across the parking lot. And it’s cold af outside. Plus, I’m feeling unusually hungry, and I don’t like to exercise on an empty stomach, as it makes me feel lightheaded and nauseated.

Maybe I should just eat breakfast already?

But then I can’t go gym right away, because I don’t like to workout right after I eat, as it also makes me feel nauseated. And I don’t think I can do much else on my list without waking up wifey.

What to do?

What to do?

I should go work out.


I should totally just go work out.

4:05 AM



So since I’m a big weenie and don’t want to go gym or go walk in the cold, I decide to pack up my laptop and put it by the door instead.

I figure I can drop my son at work and then head to Burger King and write my blog post. I have their coffee subscription in the BK app, so coffee is free. Then I can do all that noisy stuff when I come home around 7:00 AM. My wife will be up and getting ready for work by then.

I’m so smart!

Super genius!

This is going to be perfect!

But for now, I still need to be quiet and keep doing the pee pee dance and just find something productive to do for a few minutes until my son gets out of the bathroom.

4:10 AM

So with just the oven light on so I can see, I pour a cup of water.

But then I remember that I don’t want to start hydrating until after I weigh in – just to be consistent from day to day. So I need to do that first.

The scale is in the bathroom.

Which is occupied.

Damn, I’m hungry.


Eating breakfast shouldn’t be too noisy.

And I’m super hungry.

So I look through the fridge to figure out what I’ll eat for breakfast.

I spy some leftover spanish rice and some leftover baked mashed yams. I put them in a dish and put it in the microwave…

But then I remember that I can’t eat breakfast yet, because I still haven’t weighed in.


Pee pee dance intensifies.


4:15 AM

Bathroom is available, so I head straight to the toilet.

4:25 AM

I only had time to use the toilet, wash my hands and weigh myself.

Fortunately, my son’s work is just a couple blocks away. But it’s getting late, so we gotta run because he starts work in five minutes.

But first I grab a little baggie of tortillas and some leftover french toast from earlier in the week for us to munch on. He doesn’t like to eat before work, but I can usually convince him to take a couple bites at least.

4:30 AM

Drop son off at work down the road and head to Burger King.

4:35 AM


As I’m driving, I remember that BK doesn’t open until 6:00 AM, so I just head home. There are probably a couple other places open at this hour, but I’m broke af and literally do not have enough to buy coffee anywhere. A $1 coffee with tax comes out to $1.08, but I only have $1.03 in my checking account, so it won’t go through.

So I just go home.

4:40 AM

I do not know what to do.

My entire plan needs to be rearranged to avoid waking up my wife. All I can do is go work out, but baby it’s cold outside.

Then I remember my my cup of water still sitting there on the counter. So I drink that, and then I remember my rice and yams in the micro, so I decide to warm that up and eat. Screw the workout, I’m hungy. Maybe I’ll workout after my food settles.

5:00 AM

Breakfast was a good idea.

But now I still don’t know what to do. So I sit silently and try to stop overthinking things.

I’m good at overthinking things.

It’s like my superpower.

But my eyelids are starting to shut on me, and it’s cold in here. And that bed looks so warm and comfy and…

Maybe I should just go walk for awhile. That would wake my ass up, for sure.



Sleepiness intensifies…


5:30 AM



So I weenie out again and start reading, using the light from my phone so I can see the pages. I’m starting to read Think and Grow Rich again for the fourth time now. I figure I’ll read the author’s intro and publisher’s intro, and by then it should be 6:00 AM, and my wife should be waking up for work.

5:58 AM

Okay, so that was good. I’m glad I read. Now I’ll just wait a couple more minutes.

6:01 AM

Her alarm didn’t go off, and I just realize for the first time in forever that I have no idea what fucking time my wife wakes up to get ready for work. I thought it was 6:00 AM, but I guess not.

6:02 AM

I notice wife’s phone is lit up and she’s scrolling.

“Hey, good morning.”

“Hey…I gotta go bathroom.”

“Okay, so are you getting up after that or going back to sleep?”

“Probably going back to sleep.”

You gotta be shitting me.

Who is this woman in my bed?

Does she even have work today?

I have no idea how any of this works.

“So, what time do you get up for work every day?”

“Probably like 6:15.”


Okay, so I guess I can just start doing the rest of my routine now. Even if she manages to fall asleep again, it’ll only be for a few more minutes. So I can just get going.

I should really get busy now.



Weenieness intensifies.


7:45 AM

“Babe…Babe, wake up. I gotta go work in 15 minutes.”



7:58 AM


I spring out of bed, put my pants on and head out the door.



Okay, so that’s how Day 1 of my new morning routine went. Out of 19 tasks in my routine, I only managed to accomplish five of them:

  1. Go toilet
  2. Weigh in
  3. Eat breakfast
  4. Drink water
  5. Read book

I am SO GOOD at this morning routine stuff, right?

Clearly, I have some tweaking to do.

It would have helped if I had gone to sleep early last night like I told myself I would.

But it was Halloween, and everyone wanted to at least watch a spooky movie before calling it a night. So we watched some Stephen King thing on Netflix and then an episode of Black Mirror after that, and I went to sleep at like 10:00 or 11:00 idk (which is still fairly early for me).

But not early enough.

So there are probably a couple ways I can go forward with this.

Beside the tip-toeing-around-the-house logistical side of it, the main thing is that I can’t just cut three hours out of my daily sleep schedule and expect things to work out fine. That’s just not going to happen.

So I might need to shift my wake up time – and my bedtime – little by little so that my body can adjust gradually.

Or I can stick with the 4:00 AM thing from the start and just go to bed super early at like 8:00 or 9:00 PM.

I think either approach could work.

Realistically, I should probably take the gradual approach, since I’m not exactly Mr. Hardcore Self Discipline. But I still want to try making the jump quickly and see if I can just tough it out.

So we’ll see.

I’ll update here on the blog again next week.

In the meantime, I’m also on Twitter and Instagram, so I’ll be posting mini updates there throughout the week too.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: